I love this beautiful planet of ours, and I do my very best to be a good steward of the land I occupy, always striving to make one more change for that seventh generation. I’m hoping you are too.
But, as I am never satisfied, I’m wanting us all to do more. Would you look at the list below and find one item that you aren’t already doing and give it a try for Mother Earth? I’d appreciate it, and so would she.
- Rethink your purchases – Do you really need it? How far did it travel to get to you? Is it made from sustainable materials?
- Buy a clothes line or drying rack. Dry one load a week this way (or more if you can).
- Use cloth napkins at home.
- Skip the paper towels and use cloth.
- Eat at least one vegetarian meal a week.
- Compost your fruit and vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, and tea bags.
- Turn your thermostat to 58 degrees when you sleep. Throw on an extra blanket.
- Buy locally and organic.
- Replace one incandescent light bulb (that’s not on a dimmer) with a flourescent bulb.
- When you leave a room, turn off the light.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Check your home’s insulation levels, add more if possible/necessary.
- Done it all? Yeah! Or just want more ideas? Click here.
Here’s what our household pledges to do:
- Rethink our purchases.
- Insulate our home (we’ve got pretty much zero!).
- Buy organic cotton t-shirts. Research other affordable organic clothing. I’m not keen on paying $200 for a pair of jeans or a blouse.